I Woke Up In Vegas

Two weeks ago I had two jobs, I was preparing to sign a lease, and I was part of a youth ministry that has impacted me for the past 13 years. I was finally starting to feel like I had things under control. Since coming home I felt like I had been living in constant chaos, and I finally felt like I had found some stability for my wobbling heart. I was making preparations to start a high school small group for the girls that the Lord has allowed me to disciple over the past several years. Everything seemed to be falling into place perfectly. I finally had an answer when the daunting question of what I was doing with my life was bound to surface in every conversation.

But . . . this morning I woke up in the middle of Las Vegas. No job. No house. And a whole new community. I’ve always had this idea of “How much faith does it take to sit on a couch?” If we’re just going to sit still and wait around until we have a clear, marked out path to follow, what need do we have for faith? But man has God made that so real lately. I feel largely incompetent and ill-equipped. Apart from Him I can guarantee you I would never have found myself in the middle of Las Vegas, Nevada. But God is funny, so here I am. 

I know many of you are probably wondering how I got to this point, but to put it simply, Jesus. I am already aware that most of you would tell me that it logically makes no sense, that it is completely irresponsible, and that I have to be out of my mind. And you'd be right to say those things. But, if you've followed my story at all you know that most things I do logically make no sense, are completely irresponsible, and I just am insane. 

I honestly have no other agenda in this life than to follow the Lord where He leads me. My life doesn't make sense to a lot of people, including myself. But what I've found in my short 20 years is that when things start to make sense that's normally a good sign I've grown numb to the Lord's voice. 

Sooooo, I’m sure you’re wondering why Vegas, and I’m so excited to share with you!!! The summer after my senior year of high school the Lord gave me the awesome opportunity of meeting Heiden and Neena Ratner. They live in Las Vegas and have followed the Lord in planting WALK Church. I have watched their family and church grow over the last two years, and the Lord has put it on my heart to come and get involved with what He is doing through them in this amazing city! During my visit two years ago I fell in love with this place that is so desperately in need of a Savior, and I feel so blessed that the Lord would allow me to be part of His movement in Las Vegas. I’m sure many of you are aware that youth ministry is very near to my heart, and finding out that there are 2,200 homeless youth in Las Vegas, and thousands more that have never experienced the freedom of Christ, how could I tell God no? 

Having said all that, I hope my next 60 years are as adventurous as my first 20. And, as long as I’m walking with Him none of it has to make sense. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vulnerability Breeds Redemption

I Belong To You